Sunday, June 27, 2021

From the Baltic to the Bay- The Backstory

 From the Baltic to the Bay
The Backstory  

Planning, Saving and Booking Oh My
For the past 3 years, Chris and I have been saving money for our 15th Anniversary trip. Ever since our big 10th Anniversary trip to Alaska, we knew we wanted to "Go Big or Go Home" with our next milestone anniversary! We had planned to go on a Baltic Cruise and explore Europe both before and after the cruise. This was going to be a HUGE trip and we knew back in 2017-2018, we would need to save a lot of money. We began planning on the first month of saving. But God had other plans! 

As the coronavirus came to the United States, many of our travel plans for 2020 and 2021 were disrupted and changed. We had 3 cruises cancelled and a few other trips changed or cancelled. We had hopes throughout this whole ordeal that our June 28, 2021 Baltic Cruise and Europe trip would still "make" but in late April, Norwegian Cruise Line cancelled our cruise. This was heartbreaking but the right call and we knew it. But we also knew we wanted to still celebrate our anniversary so we began to look for other trip options. 


It will happen one of these days! It will probably be 2023 before we get there... but we will make it happen

As a child, I grew up traveling with my mom and dad to SBC conventions and major cities all over the US. My dad actually had a dream and goal to visit EVERY Major League Baseball stadium before he died and when I was about 7 years old, he started this journey with my mom, sister and I. I was able to get every single stadium except 8 before I left for college and got married in 2006. 

Getting the rest of these 8 stadiums has been a goal and Chris promised me in 2005, when we met, he would take me to these remaining 8 stadiums. In 2008 he took me to the Washington Nationals stadium (RFK at the time). Right before we moved to Houston in 2011 he took me to Minute Maid Park in Houston (I had been to the Astrodome countless times but this was a first at Minute Maid). In 2016 he took me to Safeco Field in Seattle (GORGEOUS stadium). Just this past April he took me, and the kids, to Chase Field in Phoenix (literally a 20 year dream in the making). So naturally, as the cruise was cancelled I looked at the remaining 5 California stadiums and built our trip around these stadiums.


2008 at RFK stadium (Good grief we look SO YOUNG) 

2011 Minute Maid Stadium
Houston... We have a problem! The Davis's are coming to town! 




Safeco Field in 2016 after our Alaskan Cruise for our 10th Anniversary! 


2021 with the kids at Chase Field! 
Check out that blog- Bucket List Check Off

Unfortunately, the Giants and A's as well as the Dodgers and the Angels were never in town together during the small 3 week window we had to travel. Chris has been wanting to go to Lake Tahoe for a while and between my bucket list of MLB stadiums and his dream to visit Tahoe, thus morphed our Summer 2021 & 15 Anniversary trip to San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. 

Cough, Cough... Tap the Brakes
In May 2021, as the school year was coming to an end, I was diagnosed with Covid-19. I was sick for about 36 hours before getting the official result of a positive Covid 19 test and then about 72 hours of being dreadfully sick at home before realizing I was getting worse and needed to be checked out. 

On Wednesday, May 26th my heartrate was racing, even while asleep or laying down, and I was incredibly dizzy and nauseous (like holding on to the wall to get to the bathroom).  I was isolating at home while Chris was at work, but I called him at 10AM that morning and told him that when he got home I wanted him to take me to Urgent Care. He was at the house by 10:30 (haha, thank you honey) and we were at the Urgent Care before 11AM. 

At this point I truly thought I was having a heart attack or something really bad was happening to me. I couldn't even sit up and had to lay down.  The Urgent Care doctor examined me  and did an EKG but said it was best to go to the ER. Long story short... after 5+ hours in the ER, I was diagnosed with Covid Pneumonia and spent 5 days in the hospital. 

It was an AWFUL experience and I do not wish it on my absolute worst enemy. The isolation and doubt were terrible but after 4 rounds of heavy medication, I was taken off oxygen and sent home. After a few scary days at home, I was removed from isolation and out of quarantine on June 3rd. 


Probably the worst 5 days of MY LIFE! 
Seriously... So glad I had Jesus right there with me! 
When Jesus is ALL you have... Jesus is all you need!


This put me on the right track for healing! 
Thanks mom, dad and Allie! 

I asked the doctor at the hospital. the County Infectious Disease Doctor, and PCP if I would be able to travel in late June, just 3 weeks later, and each of them undoubtedly said "Yes! Take the trip". As I continued to recover I was still having shortness of breath and that terrible Covid Fatigue about every 4-5th day. I worried, stewed and prayed continuously but ultimately decided that if I was going to die... I know where I am going and I wanted to celebrate Chris and I no matter what. I got another green light just 2 days before the trip and that was God telling us to go! He brought me home and gave me a quick recovery... I just had to TRUST HIM and have faith HE would protect me during this trip! 

This trip was AMAZING and even now I look back and wonder how I did some of the things we did this past week. But I know it was all with God's help and His continued grace and mercy. I do not deserve this recovery or this trip. But HE provided for me (and for Chris) and I am eternally grateful! 

I felt the post-Covid symptoms, like shortness of breath, coughing and especially fatigue,  MANY times while on this trip and I continued to do my mandatory breathing treatments many times daily but we made it through and had the time of our lives! 

I married the BEST
I love you Chris Davis! Thanks for 15+ years of marriage and thanks for not only putting up with me but also taking care of me! I know you suffered and sacrificed a lot during my sickness and I am forever grateful for you! I am so glad I could be with you on your first trip to California! Thank you for all you do and I love you forever! 

Thank you Jesus for healing me! You are the Great Physician and I know I was only able to take this trip because of YOUR grace and mercy! I do not deserve this recovery, husband/ family or even this trip but with Your mercy, I was able to have it all!
Thank you Jesus! 

Be sure to come back and check out our day-by-day blogs of our trip to Northern California and Lake Tahoe!
It was certainly a trip for the memory books! 

Once again, thanks for following along! We greatly appreciate your support! 

God is good... ALL the time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment