Thursday, December 29, 2011

Merry Christmas 2011

The Greatest Gift This Season: FAMILY
Natalie, Chris and I were able to spend Christmas with both of our families. This was the first time since Chris and I were married that we were able to get to be with both families at Christmas time. We still we unable to be with both on Christmas Day but within the week of Christmas is still a major improvement for us. In years past we have only been able to be at one of their houses on Christmas and Thanksgiving (Alternating between his family and mine). But now since we live so close to each side, we were able to spend alot of time with each during both holidays.


We spent Christmas with my parents in Arp, TX the weekend preceding Christmas. This was great because we were able to get together and celebrate Jesus' birth without the major headache of a Christmas "dinner". We celebrated a true "Texans" way with Mexican food all around. We made Chicken Enchiladas, Queso, and specialty rice. It was as my sister would say... "Yumsters!". We also had our annual "Bake-off" which featured bars this year. Allison made a fancy chocolate bar called "Cant Leave Them Alone Bars" while Chris made a very tasty bar featuring Pecans called "Pecan Goodie Bars". I went with a traditional Blondie that satisfied my non-chocolate taste but didn't win over the judges. In the end, Allison came home with this years Award and will have bragging rights for the next year. I am thinking next year I will have to play the chocolate card just to try to win it!

We were able to see all of Chris' immediate family over Christmas weekend and celebrate Jesus' birth with them over a somewhat traditional Christmas meal. Last year we fried a turkey for Thanksgiving with the Davis family and this year we decided to try a "TUR-DUCK-EN". Chris and I had ate this before last Christmas with my family and we LOVED it! It was so tasty and delicious. Chris had found a place down here that specialized in stuffed meat and decided to get one for the Davis Christmas Dinner. We were all so very excited about it. In fact, Chris was so excited about it that while basting it on Christmas Eve afternoon, he dropped some of the juices on his foot and burnt it! Poor Guy! With this Tur-duck-en we had a variety (a very LARGE variety) of side dishes including; Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Leeanna's Famous Mac and Cheese (It may not have been famous before but... IT IS NOW! It was "Yumsters") as well as about 5 other side dishes. Our poor refrigerator was FULL with leftovers after this ARMY-SIZED meal! Overall it was a wonderful meal.

While together with Chris' family we played card games including Skip-Bo. This was a game I used to play with my grandma which made me think of her and miss her and all of my extended family alot. This led me to start thinking about Christmas' past and all of the "traditions" we had. We spent a great deal of time on Christmas day sharing "traditions" with each other. It was so interesting to hear all of the family traditions every had. For example, one of Chris' family's traditions is putting together a puzzle at Christmas time. This year they were able to put together a LSU puzzle and Natalie actually got to help! Leeanna and I pretty much had the same Holiday traditions and festivities which included traveling to see our family! This discussion led me to think about the traditions I was to create with MY OWN family! And now that we are going to be a family of 4, I think I can begin most of these Christmas 2012. These will be highlighted and detailed in one of my following posts.

I am so grateful to have such wonderful family members and I will be forever grateful for their love for me and my family. Thank you Mom and Dad for a great Christmas in Arp. We loved EVERY minute. Thank you also Allison for finding time to come and spend that weekend with us. It would not have been the same without you! Thank you Dan and Jackie for your continuous support for Chris and I, not only in the form of a roof over our heads but in so many other ways as well. Thank you D'Ann, John and Leeanna for also coming and spending the Christmas holiday with us. We loved spending that time with y'all!

Another Christmas in the books. Just think... next year we will be a family of FOUR!

God is good... ALL THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment