Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Easter Preparation #3- The Old Rugged Cross


Wednesday, April 16, 2014 
"The Old Rugged Cross" 

An oldie but a goodie... This is one of the best hymns ever written and the words are ever true, even today. I'll cherish the Old Rugged Cross... til my trophies at last I'll lay down. This is what I cling to as I think about the upcoming days and Jesus' death and then resurrection. This is a constant reminder of what He did for you and me. 

He suffered and died to sanctify ME? He bore the guilt and the shame of the world and was buried but on the 3rd day was resurrected and brought back from the grave. How is this possible? I still am amazed at the beauty of the entire event!

The great book of Colossians reminds us of this sacrifice.  "Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation"- Colossians 1:21-22

"The Old Rugged Cross" 

  1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
    The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
    And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
    For a world of lost sinners was slain.
    • Refrain:
      So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
      Till my trophies at last I lay down;
      I will cling to the old rugged cross,
      And exchange it some day for a crown.
  2. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
    Has a wondrous attraction for me;
    For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
    To bear it to dark Calvary.
  3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
    A wondrous beauty I see,
    For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
    To pardon and sanctify me.
  4. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
    Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
    Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
    Where His glory forever I’ll share.
I will Cling to The Old Rugged Cross... And exchange it someday for a crown! I cannot wait for that day! 
God is good... All the time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment