Friday, January 27, 2012

7 Years and Counting

It was September 2004 and I was leading a 3rd-6th grade Children's Choir at Bethel Baptist Church in Norman, OK. I was a senior in college and I had been serving as a music intern at Bethel for about 16 months. I worked alongside the minster of music, Jerry Billingsley, as well as his secretary and other staff members of the church during daily duties but I had decided it was time to actually teach some music. Bro. Jerry asked me to teach and lead the 3rd-6th grade children's choir on Sunday evenings and I took the volunteer teaching position. It was a great opportunity for me to be able to get out and teach on a regular basis. Up to this point in my college classes, I had only done a little teaching on my own within a classroom setting but most had just been observations of other teachers in the area.

As the months pasted the choir began to grow and more and more kids were coming. We had a blast learning songs about God and learning new instruments such as the Boomwhackers. Around November of 2004, I went to Jerry and asked him if he could find anyone else to come and help me on Sunday evenings. He smiled real big and said "Why surely!" Of course at this time, I had no idea what he was talking about and just went on with my business. He and his wife had known both Chris and I for a long time and had pondered about trying to get us together. Who would have known it would have all happened in a Children's Choir!

About 2 weeks later a young man by the name of Chris Davis showed up one Sunday evening saying he was there to help me with Children's Choir. I shook his hand and gave him a few jobs to do during the rehearsal such as taking roll and basically being the "bouncer" of the group. He, the kids and I had a blast and then him and I started hanging out and sitting together during Sunday evening church too.

I also taught 4th grade Sunday School during Sunday mornings and he was in the Singles class so we did not really sit together on Sunday mornings but we did on Sunday evenings. One Sunday morning he come up and asked me to go out to eat with him and his Single friends at On the Border. I accepted and we had a great time but no real connection so to speak, mainly because we were with a large group. Finally on January 24th, my mom's birthday, Chris asked me if I would like to go out to eat that following Friday. He had called me on the phone and offered this date and I did accept. This was about 10 minutes before I had to be at an SAI Music Sorority meeting with all my friends. I remember RUNNING into that meeting and telling my friend Ashley and others about what had happened. In fact, I was late and bursted into the room yelling "He asked me out". The 10-12 girls in there started laughing and for the next 5 minutes we were talking about Chris and I. (Kinda embarrassing now but back then, my world had stopped!)

The big night had come and Chris came to my door, dressed up nicer than he did on Sunday mornings, to pick me up. I will NEVER forget how nice his car was, all clean and neat. We went to eat at Charleston's Restaurant first. He was so gentleman like and asked me what I wanted and then ordered it for me. We sat and talked for what seemed like just 20 minutes and was actually 2 hours. Then we went to see "Meet the Faulkers" movie. (FYI... This is NOT a good 1st date movie!!! There were several parts in there that made me blush in embarrassment). About 1 hour into the movie, he leaned over and asked "Would you mind if I held your hand?" I thought that was so sweet and thoughtful... most men would have just grabbed it! The movie ended and he took me back to my apartment where my roommate, Ashley, anxiously waited looking out the upstairs window for my return to hear the stories about the date. We said our goodbyes and then he asked to give me a kiss. It was sweet and simple. I came into the apartment and I shut the door and I just knew... this was for real. I spent the next 3 hours (Literally) talking to Ashley about our date. She told me I was smiling the whole time. I don't think I slept a wink that night!

The rest, as they say, is HISTORY! We will be married for 6 years in March and it has been a whirlwind of 6 years. We have 1 daughter, Natalie Grace, who is the most perfect gift from God and now we have another gift on the way.... David Luke will grace our presence in early June. It is amazing how things turn out! I knew that night that he was for real and that we would be together for years to come but didn't see all this coming! While it seems like only yesterday, 7 years have pasted and it has been an amazing 7 years. I cant wait to see what the next 7, 17, 27, 37, 47 years have to offer!

I love you Chris and I am so glad you asked me out!

As always, God is Good... ALL THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment