Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fun in the Sun 2013- Baton Rouge

Friday, July 26, 2013
A trip down MEMORY LANE 

Today started with an early 6:45am alarm  and ended with a very tired and weary Kellie. Chris had to drop off our 2 beagles at the doggie daycare by 7am but unfortunately our Abbey had a seizure before he loaded them in the car. After this Chris and I both had to go to a walk-in clinic to treat what turned out to be Pink Eye for me. We ended up getting a prescription for anti-biotic drops for Pink Eye ($231 prescription if you missed yesterday's post)! And as of right now I would say I am at about 95% and Chris has yet to show any signs or symptoms of Pink Eye!!! Thank You, Lord and thanks to all who prayed for our health too!!! 

We met my dad, Poppy, in Corigan Camden, TX where he had just come from Pineywoods Baptist Encampment for AEBC youth camp. We met him around 12:30 and loaded up his car of Natalie and Luke's bags and toys... After a long and tear heavy good-bye, Chris and I were on the road to Baton Rouge via Beaumont.

Luke helping us move bags around ;)

 On our drive along I-10 we made some questionable stops but the best (well really the worst) of these was Tiger Truck Stop outside of Grosse Tete just about 15 miles west of Baton Rouge. This truckstop  was loaded with LSU tiger memorabilia to say the least but they had a real live tiger caged outside. This was neat and disturbing at the same time. 

Chris and I outside of Tiger Truck Stop 

We took a few pictures and donated $1 and continued east... WELL THAT IS WHAT WE THOUGHT WE WOULD DO UPON LEAVING but then as we enter I-10 again we encounter heavy traffic congestion from a wreck on the "new bridge" over the Mississippi river. About 2 hours later we arrived in Baton Rouge. Serious, TWO HOURS!! 

The "New Bridge"

We were able to go by LSU, 2 of Chris's family's old houses, his family church and even his High School on Saturday morning. I really enjoyed getting to see and hear all the stories and memories Chris had from Baton Rouge. Many of these memories truly form who he is today and many of them are part of the many reasons I love Chris Davis!!! 

The first house Chris and his family lived in while in Baton Rouge

Chris's High School- Scottlandville Magnet HS


We wanted to eat at a great Southern Cajun restaurant so we asked my brother and sister-in-law who lived in Baton Rouge for 4-5 years to suggest some. We opted for Ralph & Kacoo's. This turned out to kinda be a bust... The food was "OK" and service was terrible! AND, they were out of soft shell crab! REALLY, REALLY!! But nonetheless, Chris and I were together and loving every minute of it!! 

Ralph & Kacoo's

Our hotel stay was questionable at best but we survived and it truly was in a good part of Baton Rouge, just not my style of hotel! We left Saturday morning around 9:30 and headed towards New Orleans. 

One last Baton Rouge "tradition"... It ain't no Starbucks but it was pretty good! 

I love my husband very much but I am not a huge fan of Baton Rouge! Lots of traffic (and my even that big of town) and people seem kinda weird! But overall I really enjoyed our stay in Baton Rouge. 

Day #1= SUCCESS!! 

God is good...ALL the time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment