Friday, June 5, 2015

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Monday, April 20, 2015
Run Like a Diva, Run Like a Davis

I DID IT! I DID IT! I ran and completed my very 1st OFFICIAL 5K this weekend in Galveston with my sister, Allison! I feel like I can now cross something off of my bucket list and the feeling of accomplishment is incredible!

I am not a runner and in fact, I hate running (most of the time... not this weekend though). My husband, Chris, is an avid runner and loves running. Even when he was much heavier than he is now he was still running. Since his 135 pound weight loss he has practically been addicted to running. He trained for and ran in a 26.2 mile marathon at the end of February and even since then has been running anywhere from 3-12 miles per day. This is something that he loves and I decided it was time for me to do something WITH HIM and FOR HIM! So after I lost my 80 pounds I decided it was time to get into shape so I could run alongside him in a race one day

In February I started training for a 5K using the "Couch to 5K" app on my iPhone. This program was meant to help you train and get into shape for running a 5K. It started with running 3-5 minutes at a time and gradually grew as you ran 3 times per week for a total of 8 weeks. About 3 weeks into this program as I was running outside in our neighborhood the weather was being fickle, as usual, and could not make up it's mind on a temperature. I ran a few times in 40* or below temperatures but it only took 1 time of running in 80* temps for me to decide that I just cannot run outside and train the way I should if it is not a perfect temperature of 55-70*. I was struggling to keep up with the program and I swear I was crying thinking "I feel like I am back in Junior High trying to be someone that I am clearly not" each and every time I went out to run. I have had enough... It was time to do something. I told Chris that I wanted to use our Christmas money to buy a treadmill so in Mid-March we purchased a basic treadmill for me to use to train on. 

Since then I have been waking up at 4:45-5:00AM to run each morning on the treadmill. For the past 3-4 weeks I have been running 1.5-2 miles each morning and have been feeling pretty good. The app kept telling me to run for 25-28 minutes without stopping and it should have been 2.25- 3 miles depending on your running pace, however; I must have been running much slower because I was running 1.7- 2.5 miles on those times. But needless to say I was ready to go and run my 1st race. 

Saturday, April 18th 
The weekend had finally arrived and I was ready to run my 1st race. My sister, Allison, drove down from Dallas and we headed to Galveston. We arrived in the mid-afternoon and immediately went to the convention center to pick up our race packets. We got an awesome Hot Pink bag filled with our race day shirt, bib and of course the very important "Tu-Tu". We were so excited and of course we took some great pictures. After we picked up our packets we then went to the "Health and Wellness Boutique" and there were several vendors set-up selling their racing attire and materials. We each got some great shirts, headbands and even some shoe charms. It was a great experience and a wonderful way to get pumped up for my 1st race.

Allie has done many 5Ks before but none of this magnitude! 

My 1st official Race Photo!

Sisters Diva Run! #RunLikeaDiva #DivaRunGalveston #DivaRun2015

We then went to lunch at a Klingsick vacation tradition... Denny's. This was lacking and disappointing but it is a tradition and we enjoyed it. After lunch we walked across Seawall Blvd to go to the Seawall and walked along the ocean. We walked along the beautiful muddy beach shore as we talked about anything from family to vacations to fashion. A true sisters talk. We walked along the beach for about an hour before heading back to our car to go to the race site.

It isn't a trip to Galveston without at least putting our feet in the ocean! 

Why hello there ocean... This "Soccer MOM" has arrived and is ready to race! 

We traveled back up the main road in Galveston to head towards the historic Strand District where the race would be held. We re-traced the steps in the race map and drove the entire length of the 3.1 miles where we would be running. This helped us get an idea of where we would be running as well as scout out a parking space for the next morning. We then went and found the hotel to stay the evening. 

We were able to get in to the Rodeway Inn right off of I-45/ Broadway Ave. It was not expensive and was overall a great little hotel. Allison and I agree that we have stayed in much worse hotels in our family travels. A teacher friend of mine, Stacey Keener, from my school was also running the race so she decided she would stay with us to help save money and not have to drive down from Conroe on race morning. The 3 of us went to the Tanger Outlet Mall in Texas City before returning to Galveston for dinner. We ate at a great little island restaurant called The Spot. It was known for it's burgers so we each did some "carb loading" for the big race. After dinner we went back to the hotel to retire for the evening. The hotel bed was lacking to say the least and hard as a rock for a side sleeper like me and I only got about 2-3 hours of sleep from lack of being comfortable.

It is an unwritten rule that when you see or pass a Buc-ee's you HAVE TO GO IN!
We got some beef jerky, glazed pecans, large Dr. Pepper (with vanilla) and a new Texas Buc-ee's shirts!

The Spot... on the Seawall!
This is a new favorite of mine and a must go-to with Chris and the kids!

Race Day- Sunday, April 19th 
RING RING RING... My alarm went off at 5:45AM so we could all get up and get ready for the big race. We were all 3 ready and walking out the door by 6:15AM. We made our way to The Strand and found a parking spot then we made our way to the starting line. Keener's 1/2 marathon started at 7AM and our 5K didn't start until 7:25AM so we had time to check our bags, use the restroom and do some stretching!

I got my tu-tu on and I am READY TO GO! 

The Starting Line on Mechanic St. 

Sister Selfie before the race! 

I was feeling mixed emotions of tiredness, excitement and even some nervousness as the time was dwindling away towards 7:25AM. I was able to see both of the Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas (sailed on August 2014) and the Carnival Magic (sailing this June... 55 days) back into port which honestly helped motivate me in some way. I did some stretching and praying and before I knew it the gun was sounding and the race had began. 

The Carnival Magic backing into port at 7:10AM. Just 55 sweet days until I am on-board! 
This was a picture and thought that crossed my mind A LOT during those 3.1 miles! 

We waited for what seemed like FOREVER to get up to the actual starting line as the crowd settled out. There were over 5,000 people running in either race and approximately 2,000 were running the 5K so there was a bit of a traffic jam. As soon as I crossed the starting line I was able to actually start running and I could feel this was going to be a good day and race. I was able to jog over a complete mile before having to stop to walk due to the humidity. I really wanted to take my time and really enjoy the race by taking selfies and ocean pictures but my motivation was high so I just kept on running. My running app kept telling me times and average mile pace and I just felt like I could beat my previous time of 43:28. I kept thinking "I can beat 40:00... Let's go". I also kept hearing Chris saying "Don't give up... Push it". That helped me keep going many times. 

I never really felt like giving up until about mile 2.8 and then God sent me a nice stranger who was looking for someone to cross the finish line with. Tammy was her name and she was a true God send. She kept telling me to push harder and how to breath (in through the nose and out through the mouth... I didn't know this). We approached the tiara and boa table and grabbed our princess accessories and put them on. She then kept telling me to go hard and cross with strength. We both pushed hard and crossed together. I finished with a personal best time of 38:18 and I am FLABBERGASTED at that time and my overall finish! For my 1st 5K I am very proud of and impressed with myself. Allison also finished with a person best time of 48:34 and I too am very proud of her! Of course, my athletic/ runner friend Keener finished her 13.1 1/2 marathon in 2:08:00 so... yeah, I have a ways to go but I feel good about my time! You've got to start somewhere... right?

Post Race Selfie with my tiara and boa! 

Some Bubbly for my finish!
(I was driving so I just took the glass not the bubbly) 

Galveston Firefighters put the medals on us!
This explains the massive line to get our medals.
We ended up going to this one bc the long line was for the much hotter blonde but we felt bad for this guy so we just went to him! 

I got my 1st medal! Fit for a princess too! 

It was all worth it and I LOVED every minute of it! 

Allison and I got some grub/ fuel, checked our official times and even did some dancing while we waited for Keener to finish her 1/2 marathon. Around 9:15AM Keener was done and we were on our way back to shower at the hotel. By 10:30AM we were back on I-45 headed to Conroe. We made record time and dropped Keener off before heading to Chuy's to celebrate with Chris and the kids!

We came... We ran... We conquered!
See you in 2016 Galveston! 

Allison doing the Wobble after the run!

Gotta love Keener... "Take a bite out your medal"!

Klingsick Sisters all the way! 

So glad I got to experience this with not only my sister but one of my BIGGEST motivators!
Thanks Keener! You are AWESOME! 

Goofie Galveston picture! 

Thanks again Allie! Cannot wait for 2016! 

It was an INCREDIBLE and rewarding weekend and Allison and I have decided this will be an annual thing. In fact, I think 2016 will be a 3 generations race as my mom and Natalie are going to be Diva Runners with us. 

I am not a runner and despite being able to run this 5K I do not think I will become a "runner" but I could not have even dreamed about doing this, let alone actually completing it, 80 pounds ago and I am so glad and thankful for Plexus and God for allowing me to accomplish this Bucket List goal! There was definitely and literally BLOOD, SWEAT and TEARS leading up to this (and during too) but it was ALL WORTH IT! Thank you Allison for an AWESOME weekend and I cannot wait until Diva Run 2016! 

Thank you PLEXUS for helping me achieve this goal! Never could have done this 80 pounds ago! In 2016 I plan to have lost another 20 so I will be MUCH faster! WooHoo... I LOVE my Pink Drink! 

God is good... ALL the time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment