Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day Reflections 2012: "Motherhood: A Blessing"

Thursday, May 10, 2012
"Motherhood: A Blessing"

All this week at school the PAWS (activity) teachers are doing a special rotation where we are having each of our K-3 grade students come to our classes for an abbreviated session to make special projects for their mom for Mother's Day. The art teacher and computer teacher are making cute pictures and posters for the moms with words that describe them and other activities. Even the PE teacher is creating an exercise workout that the student and mom can do together. It is a really neat idea and I have loved it all week.

In music we are making maracas out of paper picnic plates and dried pinto beans. I have done this MANY times in the past and the little kids just love the noise it makes. I have had the students write something along the lines of "My mom Rocks" on the outside of the plate and create or make a song / jingle for their mom and sing it to them on Mother's Day!

As a team, the activity teachers got together to go over logistics last week and I was informed that there were a few students who don't live with their moms but grandmas and 1 student in particular did not have a mom because she was killed 2 years ago by her ex-husband in a battle for custody of her 2 sons. This student is the most ADORABLE little black boy you have EVER SEEN IN YOUR LIFE! He is so sweet, kind and respectful and his smile will just melt your heart. We decided as a team to give that particular group of students in this boy's class a choice of making the projects for moms/ grandmas or themselves.

He came in on Monday to do the 1st step of decorating the plate for the maracas and I made it a point to tell his class they did not have to make it for mom but they could make it for themselves. I tried to emphasize decorating sports and other things on their plates to try to avoid any issues with this student. He turned in his plate on Monday and in the rush of things, I didn't even get a chance to look at his plate to see what he drew on it...

Until today when he and his class came back for day 2 and part 2 of making the maracas. He came to fill his plate with beans and I noticed he wrote the same words as I did on my model plate of "My Mom ROCKS!". I didn't say anything but after all the rest of his class had gone through the bean line, he came up to me and said "Mrs. Davis, can I tell you something?" I, not knowing what he was going to say, said "Sure". He replied, "It is sad... But I just wanted to let you know that my mom died when I was 5." I responded with eyes full of tears, "I know Devin. I am sorry to hear that. In fact you didn't have to decorate your plate about Mother's Day." He interrupted me and said "No, no Mrs. Davis... I wanted to. My mom LOVED music and this was something I know she would have LOVED me to bring home and share with her. I also wrote 'I miss you Mom' on the back of my plate!"

Wow... I was speechless and in awe at the same time. Here was this 8 year old who lost his mom (and dad) in a terrible scenario yet had the courage to not only make her a plate but come and tell me (the new teacher) about the whole situation. He and I just sat there at the front of my room crying together. In fact, he said "Mrs. Davis, do you want me to go get you a tissue?" I just couldn't believe his maturity about this situation. I was very impressed!

My own mother lost her father when she was also very young and I in turn was never able to meet my maternal grandfather. My mom has not shared ALOT with my sister and I about her dad but she has shared stories much like this about his likes /dislikes and what she and her own sisters loved doing with him. These stories are ALWAYS fascinating to me and I really enjoy hearing them. I am always curious to hear more of the stories about my grandfather as a person and him as a dad as well. I have always been amazed at my mom's ability to talk about it all and go through the Father's Day traditions every year with her not even having a father most of her life! I am admire her for being so strong!

Motherhood and Fatherhood (and parenting in general)are true gifts from God and a blessing. We must never take it for granted! I personally have never lost a parent, especially at a very young age, and I am eternally grateful for that. I too, hope my children will never have to face this issue either but I know that God is in control and He had a plan for little Devin's life as well as my own mom, her sisters and her mother's lives as well. I thank God for my mom and my dad and their leadership and guidance in my life. I cannot imagine my life without them.

Motherhood... A true blessing!

GOD IS GOOD... ALL THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment