Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Seventh Year of Doing What I LOVE!

I have known since my Sophomore year of High School that I wanted to teach Band and Music. I was an all-around student participating in many events and clubs in High School but it was during my sophomore year that I really chose a "lane" and put all of my time and energy into music. My band director really took time to help me achieve my personal goals and it was because of him and his commitment to me and my goals that I decided that I wanted to do the same for others. It was then that I decided I wanted to teach Band and Music. Ever since then I have been on the road of changing lives.

This year marked my 7th year of teaching overall and my 1st year of teaching in Texas. My previous six years of teaching had been in Oklahoma and I also was teaching both elementary music and band. This year was TOTALLY different for me as I was not teaching band any longer and I was in a completely new and different state. I had always dreamed of teaching in Texas but I always expected to be teaching band and NOT elementary music. God had something else in mind!

When Chris got the confirmation call that he had been offered the Math teaching position at Aldine ISD in late May of 2011, I was still teaching at Grove and in fact we got this confirmation phone call on my very last day of school at Grove. It was a very emotional day for me as I was finally going to be able to teach in Texas but I LOVED my job at Grove and its students, teachers and community! Shortly after that I started having multiple interviews a day for jobs containing both Band and Elementary Music teaching duties. In fact, because of these numerous interviews, I was only able to be in Oklahoma for 5 days to pack up our house and move. Looking back, it was a very emotional and RUSHED 5 days. I still cant find things in boxes to this day due to my rushed packing!

Around June 20th or so I decided that I really was more marketable in the Elementary Music field since I had not had any marching band experience in 5 years so I began to focus ALL MY ATTENTION to elementary music job postings! There were alot more of these postings available than that of Band director positions. On June 27th I got a call from Booker Elementary in Spring ISD to come in for an interview. A few days later I went in for that interview and felt really good about the interview and position afterwards. I came home on June 30th after that interview and went out to eat with my hubby and in-laws. While at lunch, I got a call from the PE teacher, Barbara Homer, who offered me the position just 2 hours after the completion of the interview. This was a GOD THING for sure.

Since then, I have been a part of the Booker Bengal Team and I have learned and grown a lot. Since the last 6 years of my teaching have included both Band and Elementary Music, I have naturally focused more on the band side of the job and less on the elementary. That was a mistake and I regret not putting more time and effort into the Elementary side of my job at Bowlegs and Grove. Nonetheless, I have grown and learned a lot this year teaching this young kiddos.

It was my goal this 1st year at Booker to just "Get my feet wet" so to speak with the overall curriculum and lesson planning of not only Elementary music in general but also having to be a part of a large district Curriculum and Scope and Sequence. There are lessons and ideas I have taught in the past that are not as important to the district overall curriculum and other things that I have never taught that are HIGHLY important to the district. I have been able to be a part of a TEAM of music teacher and share ideas and lesson plans. This has been something COMPLETELY new to me since during ALL of my 6 previous years I HAVE BEEN THE MUSIC DEPARTMENT! Of course, this has taken a little bit of getting used to. I am a little "set in my ways" on what I like and what I don't. But it never hurts anyone to learn something new!

At the beginning of the year I was anxious and nervous about teaching in such a large school/ district and teaching only elementary music but at the end of the year I am ready for ANOTHER year of just elementary. Of course, I still miss teaching Band but I now feel more capable of teaching elementary music and even less depressed that I don't have a band teaching job. I know God will provide and I am just going to enjoy the "EASINESS" of this position while i still have my kiddos at home.

Another major difference from August 2011 to June 2012 is ME and my physical condition. On August 20, 2011 I was fit and light and ready to tackle just about anything, including doing Car Duty in 100+ degree HEAT! But in June 2012, I have gained over 50 pounds and carrying a baby! In fact, in just 4 short days I will be giving birth to my Baby Boy David Luke! This was all part of Mine and Chris' plan to continue our family while I am teaching at a less time-consuming position. We just NEVER dreamed it would happen in the 1st year! Yet again, God had other plans!

I have learned alot this year while teaching at Booker and I am excited to go back in the Fall to teach these kiddos again. I hope I can instill a love for music into these kids that they cannot get at home. I also hope to be able to touch their lives in a way that no other parent, grandparent or family member can. I love kids and I love music and I hope to be able to combine the two!

August, 20, 2012
The First Day of School

June 7, 2012
The Last Day of School

Thank You, Lord, for the opportunity to teach at Booker and for giving me this job! Count your blessings, NAME THEM ONE BY ONE!

God is Good... ALL THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment